Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Fact of Life

This is a sincere effort to understand the simple yet unidentifiable fact of life that has mystified generations of humans. It is also a genuine attempt at garnering undue publicity by writing obscene stuff about all sorts of people and criticising them left, right and centre. That's centre, not center as the Americans spell it. I wonder who teaches them in Kindergarten...

You will recall that in my first post, I had written about Greed being the destroyer of all things. Well, this post is going to be on the same lines.

I am studying to be an Environmental Engineer and when I had thought of taking up this course, I had visions of being an agent of change, a person who will change the world forever with his mind-blowing but simple strategies to convert the earth as we know it today into an Utopia. Actually, I had thought of taking up this course because no other course was available to me at that time! But anyway, the first few days, I had these thoughts. After which my mindset changed.

I am going to be philosophical for some time now. So all those in the audience who are allergic to Philosophy should leave now. This is especially true if you have just been discharged from a mental hospital or correctional facility for the serial murderer.

Why do Environmental Engineers work? I mean, what is their ulterior motive, if they have one, in conserving the Planet? I thought along these lines and came up with some answers that satiated my curiosity. I don't know if you people will agree. But since you have no other option, you are going to have to listen to my theory!

The Fact is that Environmental Engineers couldn't care less about the Environment. Its not that we are not aware of the damage that is being caused by the human population. We are aware of the fact. But the remedies we generate at times are flawed : in the sense that the motive behind them is not benevolent. Environmentalists and other miscellaneous evangelists will tell you that there is a need to conserve all sorts of life forms, to maintain Bio-diversity. Yes, that is true for the !#$^&%^& mosquito too! What they don't tell you is that if you don't respect their opinion, they are probably going to get some foolish politician to agree to their views and get some law passed which will bugger up the whole ecosystem. This is not necessarily true of all the environmentalists, but a majority of the supposed "do-gooders" end up harming the earth. I could go on about this, but I suggest you read the book "State of fear" by Michael Crichton.

Anyway, the reason I bought up this topic (Now, back to the booger Govindraj) is that recently, I was privy to a conversation between two top environmentalists at a convention for the Earth, called Sustainable Development of the Earth's Natural Resources (for the Consumption by Men.) The bit in the brackets is my understanding of the whole thing!

Environmentalist 1 : "I wonder what we are having for lunch today"

Environmentalist 2 : "Yeah. The food was horrible yesterday"

Journalist : "Sir, do you think that the removal of the species blah blah has an effect on the rains in Mumbai?

E1 : "Oh, yes. Yes, yes, yes. Definitely. The reason that we had the deluge in Mumbai on the 26th of July was due to the mismanagement of the species conservation!"

J : "But sir, isn't BMC's lackadaisical approach to the whole incident also to be blamed?"

E1 : "You can blame anyone you want. But the fact remains that it was due to that particular missing species. Now, for example, I can blame the caterer for the poor food he's preparing, but the root cause of the trouble is the bloody organiser. If I find him, I'm.."

J : "Er.. Sir, about that species.."

E1 : "Oh yes. As I was saying, the species has been preyed upon so intensively that hardly a few of them exist nowadays. That is the root cause of trouble. There isn't enough for that species to eat, and for the species which preyed upon the species which is now nearly extinct, there is hardly anything left. And that is not speaking about the other species which feed on the species that feed upon the species that have been fed upon by the speices called the human species. So, as I was saying, humans are the root cause of all trouble. Now, where is the damn organiser?"

And so it went. The E1 was more interested in the food organisation rather than the organisation of the earth's ecosystem. But he made a valid point. Which is the FACT OF LIFE that I started writing this article for

"HUMANS ARE THE ROOT CAUSE OF ALL TROUBLE!"

1 comment:

Radgovin said...

Shiva! I hope you are happy now! I have criticised the Environmental Engineers too! :-)