Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Is consumer really the king?

I had this thought when I was at a shopping mall recently.

The shopping mall security people are really funny guys. I mean, if you have the receipt, then how does it matter where you are exiting from, right? You might be in a rush to go to the loo. Or you have just realised that 2986445822 divided by 2565 is in fact 1164306.3633528265107212475633528 (This is of concern to you only if you are a scientist working in a nuclear power plant, calculating stuff. And if you HAVE made this mistake, do notify us in advance of the impeding holocaust.) And there is this irate Security fellow, asking you for your purchase receipt and telling you that he will not let you out if you don't show it to him. Now this is a real waste of time, as the cashier wouldn't have allowed you to pass without paying the cash! The irony is that shop lifters often go scot free; from right under their noses and normal, law-fearing citizens like you and me are harassed. But that is not what my today's blog is about. My blog topic, which you have probably forgotten by now, is Is consumer really the king?

I hear all sorts of people in all sorts of places saying that consumer is really king. This is not true. This is a conspiracy and this slogan has been floated by the marketing people. Is that really hard to believe? I mean, consider this : Who benefits most from the "feel good factor" that a consumer has? The vendor of course. This ploy the people haven't realised, because they are probably thinking : "Hey, that's a wonderful concept : Spend more to Save more!".

Not that I'm against the vendors or anything. And in case any of them have been offended, I offer my sincere apologies. But then, someone has to wake the ignorant masses. I sometimes wonder if people listen to me at all. Or am I the only person who realises the significance of 1164306.3633528265107212475633528? :-)

1 comment:

Maverick said...

Wade will always be hunfwy...So he will always be the King.

get it

Cheers